Thursday, January 26, 2012

Confused Student

Dear K,

I've been a very stellar student my whole life, that was until college began. My parents pushed me into majoring in something that I never wanted to major in, and that backfired as I didn't have motivation to get the degree at all. Basically, I will be ending up with about a 2.4 GPA by the end of this semester, which will mark my second year, earning 57 credits. No doubt I've done bad, but I still have hope and I'm trying to stay as optimistic as I can. I know how hard it is to find a job these days without a degree, so if I have to take loans, work while I attend college, I WILL get through this and get my degree, no matter what.

I've looked at several careers and my final selection is to be a Radiology Technologist. I've looked around and it's said that this is a two year program, however, I seem to have ended my two year with mostly gen ed courses, and on a pretty bad note as well. I want a Bachelors degree in this program as well. I live in Orlando, Florida and attend UCF, and they no longer offer Bachelors degree in this program from what I've been told.

I feel so hopeless at this point, but I need some serious reality check. On top of this, my parents haven't talked to me for weeks and it's killing me.

*******
Confused student,
Thank you for coming to me with your problem, I am here to help!!! Don't feel as if you are alone. Many students get 3-4 years of college under thier belt before they settle on a degree program. I understand your frustration doing classes that you have no interest in because your parents pushed for it... it is pretty much inevitable that you will not do good in those classes as you know that you are working towards something that you would rather not. Don't feel like you are letting yourself down!!! From what I can tell you are a very strong and motivated person and those are the qualities that will help you through this tough time! I, for one, did all but 8 credits towards a legal administration degree before I decided that I would rather do nursing :/. So I have been there and know that it is not easy. There is good money and tons of job opportunities being a Rad Tech. (we are always hiring new ones in MN). As far as working while in college, its a good idea, but if you are already stressed out, I think you should take it slow. Changing Degree Programs is a lot of stress and you need to take care of yourself first and foremost! If UCF does not offer your program, tranferring these days is pretty easy!! Stick with it! YOU CAN DO IT :). As far as your parents go... If you think they are not talking to you because of school, that is their problem. They are your parents and they should be supportive of you no matter what! What I may suggest is to just write them a letter about how you feel and what your plans are as far as school. Let them know that your heart is in a different field and that you are doing poorly because you have no interest in it and the pressure that they have put on you has stressed you out. Let them know that you need their support now more than ever and that it hurts you when they dont talk to you. Make sure you write it in a way that does not accuse them of anything. You want to show them that you are an adult and even though you are working hard it is upsetting you that they are treating you like a child. Then, leave it up to them. They will know how you feel and hopefully will understand what you are going through. I would start looking at schools and looking into financial aid and if you decide to get a job as well, find one for about 15 hours a week to start. Remember, you are going to need time to study hard for your Bachelors Rad Tech Degree (that I know you can get!!!)and dont forget to treat yourself as well... Take time for you. Sometimes it is hard to do when you know you have other stuff that you could be doing... While I was in college, working, and raising a baby, I thought I could do it without time to myself and I broke down. From then on I schedule an hour a week for myself. In the winter I like to take that time to go tanning. Though 1 time a week wont actually give me a tan, the warmth and the Vitamin D really relieves the stress!!!! Take care Confused student and feel free to reply with more questions, anything. I am here to help!!!! Think of me as your free internet counselor :)
Be positive and you WILL succeed!!
*K*
**********
K,
I sincerely thank you for the response. I've used several sources on the internet to ask for advice and whatnot, and some told me to just drop out of school because it seems like I'm not meant to be in college. It really makes me mad that there are people out there who likes to discourage hopeful students. And while I know that my parents pressure on me is making me stress, I also realize that the lack of a better GPA is entirely my fault after all. I will admit, I have messed up since day 1 of college. I lacked the motivation that a college student should have and didn't bother seeking help till now. I really want a Rad Tech Bachelors degree, but it seems like there are no schools in my state that offers this degree- only an Associates. I'm 19 years old and I feel as if I'm wasting my time and money and I'm not getting any younger.

About my parents not speaking to me, I will just let them be. Through the grapevine, or from my sister, I heard that my Dad has lost all his hopes on me. I come from a very strict Asian family, so you know how that goes. He's still financially supporting me and I feel awful spending his money while feeling like I'm getting nowhere in life. I really want to talk to my parents, and would LOVE to write a letter, but the truth is, there's a slight language barrier between me and them. I can't eloquently express my feelings to them in our native language, which is the only language they fully understand.

I'm trying to stay positive, but the more I look at my low GPA and the courses that I failed in, the more discouraging I'm becoming.

Thank you for your help, I'm so glad there's someone I can vent my feelings to!
*********
Confused Student,
I am here to help :) Thats what I enjoy doing. I know there are some really cruddy people on the internet who like to put people down... I found a link for you, hopefully it can help you on your way. http://radiologytechnicianschools.net/
I know you look down on yourself for your GPA slipping, and yes, technically it is, but without the motivation and knowing thats what you want to do, its hard to care about it. But you will so better in your rad tech program. Even if you just start with an AA thats fine too, I think there are some online colleges that you can do the AA to BS completly online while you work. (and if you are working as a rad tech generally the bigger companies will pay for you to advance your education) I hope everything works out for you with your family. I am sure your dad has not given up hope, but maybe he feels disappointed that you dont want the same career path that he wants for you. Everyone goes through ups and downs and right now you are on the down side.... but you will be able to get back up. I have faith in you. You will do great. Just when you look at your current GPA use that to help encourage yourself to miove forward and persue your degree and push yourself to do better. You can and you will. Good Luck!!

*K*
**********
K,
I've taken a lot of the gen ed courses already. Does this mean that I've wasted two years of my life just taking these useless courses? Out of curiosity, do you know how much the rad techs at your workplace make with a two year degree out of college?

Transferring is not so easy for me. I cannot transfer to another University in the state of Florida anymore because of my GPA and I've seen some programs offered at certain hospitals, but they also seem to be a bit selective. I don't know.. I just don't. I'm hoping that all the courses I've taken thus far isn't all wasted.
*********
Confused Student,
You time is never wasted. Though your GPA may not be so great, your courses still count. Also, Gen Ed courses are needed for almost every degree program so you would need them anyways! see... not wasted. As far as the Rad Techs salary. It would be different in every state... But I asked one of our techs here and without giving me exact numbers she said she takes home just under 50k a year but thats with wonderful insurance benefits and 401K and all that kind of stuff. She also has only been doing it for about 1 year so that is pretty good for just starting out :) I say go for it! oh and yes she only has a 2 year. Plus.... cost of living where I live is nothing compared to Florida so I am sure you would make more down there :)

8 comments:

  1. K,
    You have no clue how much you've helped me. It really gave me more motivation to continue my education. And I'm quite glad that I didn't finish my Biology degree and stay on the pre-med track because that certainly wouldn't work out and I would be clueless of what to do once I get slapped in the face with rejection letters from med schools.
    Rad Techs certainly seems like a rewarding job with space for advancement and job security, so I'm definitely going to be going for that degree. Honestly, I'm quite surprised at the amount they get paid with only a two year degree! Will definitely have to get a bachelors in this field in the future. Hopefully I can get all this done by the time I'm 22-23! And hopefully I'm able to find a school that will give me this opportunity without too much of a big dent in my pocket as well!

    Thank you so much, K! I will come here regularly. And I love the new layout. It makes it so much easier to find the posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help!!!! And good luck! I know you will do great!!!!!!!!!!!!
      *K*

      Delete
    2. K,
      I need to vent. I feel so sad today. My sister just texted me and she said 'Mom feels very disappointed about you. You said you want to go into the medical field but not anymore'. I was just going to tell her about my plans of getting an Associates in Rad Tech then going back for my Bachelors, but she told me 'Please don't get an Associates in Rad Tech, they don't make a lot of money'. She thinks Rad Techs only make about 35k out of school. Regardless of money though, I told her it isn't always about money. My family seems so shallow to me.. they only want me to find a job that pays a lot and it kills me that they don't see anything beyond money. Never once have they ever asked me what I wanted to do with my life, they've always pushed me into the Medical field.

      I just really feel really lost because my family has always been very important to me and I need their support more now than ever, but they choose to continue ignore me and say how they are disappointed in of me. I don't know, I really don't anymore. I feel like I should just disappear from their sight for like 3 years and come back with my Bachelors in Rad Tech, when they CAN be proud of me.

      I've never done my family wrong in my life before. I have 3 older siblings. Basically, they all decide to not attend college and do things like getting pregnant at 19, party a lot, or just make my parents mad in so many ways. I've always worked throughout my teenage years and never have once made them worry. I only want to make a decision on my own now, is that really too much to ask? Am I being too selfish? I feel that because my 3 older siblings failed to get good jobs that my parents now wants to put all the pressure on me, but have they ever thought about my feelings? I have goals and dreams too, I'm not a robot and I hate that they make me feel like I am. Never once in my life have I made a decision where I didn't think about my family.

      Delete
    3. Hi K,
      thank you sincerely for your support! No matter how much I explain to my parents, they just don't get it. At all. So I give up trying to explain now and will just do what's best for me and hopefully in time they will see it.

      One thing that I really need your advice on is about the job outlook for being a rad tech. I've read that the job outlook is growing steadily, but I went on this one website called Indeed, and some people were discussing about how they couldn't find jobs with their two year in rad tech and they live in the same state as I do, so naturally I became a little hesitant. If I do choose this path, it would mean that I would need to transfer from my University to a Community College, so I'm just trying to get things figured out before I make any bold decisions.

      My plan was to go transfer to a CC and hopefully get my degree within the next year, find a job, and go to school for my Bachelors as I work. I'm just afraid of job opportunities being hard around here. You work for a hospital, so maybe perhaps you can shed some light on this, for me. I don't want to have to look for a job at the local fast food restaurant out of college, lol.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hi K,
    haven't heard from you in a while. I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confused Student,
      I appologize for the lengthy dely, I fell ill and have a weak immune system, so it takes a LONG time for me to become healthy again. Thank you for your concern. Has everything been going okay?

      Delete
  3. Hi K! Good to know you're doing ok!! Everything is going pretty well- for now. I gave up on the idea of going into radiology because honestly, I didn't want to do it. I thought about doing business alone, but that seemed a little risky with our current economy so I decided to major in Health Service Administration, since I have always wanted to work in a hospital setting, just not clinically. Hopefully I can get my Bachelors within the next two years and move onto getting my Masters :) I'm on the right track now, although it may take me an extra semester to graduate since I waited so long to change my major, but all is good! Do you have any information regarding people within this major? I've done a lot of research, but it's always nice to hear from people with first-hand knowledge about these kind of things. I'd love to get your opinion!

    Thank you for all your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Choice! Being a Health Service Administrator is A great Field! You can move up very quickly and work in pretty much any Hospital or Clinic you would like (pending an opening) there are always jobs posted around my area looking for clinic managers/ Supervisors and part of the requirements are a Heath service admin degree. I think you will enjoy that if you still want to be around the hospital scene. Good luck to you and in the long run, one extra semester is not that long :)

      Delete